Re: [OM] Does anybody here use masking tools... like this one or others?

Subject: Re: [OM] Does anybody here use masking tools... like this one or others?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 12:59:44 -0700
On 8/27/2015 7:36 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
That's very cool. Thanks much. But at least level is missing and maybe another one or two. PS allows rotation but it's much more difficult to use than ACR's leveling tool.

And I've never used ACR's leveling tool. :-) Just tried it. Auto was baffled by the intentionally ambiguous image I chose, with strong lines that disagree about level. Manual worked find, although I was disconcerted that it then threw me into Crop.

I still tend to use ACR only for Raw conversion, and PS for everything else. Anyway, there is a very similar tool in PS. Right click the dropper and select Ruler Tool. It works like the ACR Level Tool, except it doesn't automatically complete when you take your finger off the mouse button. One may then see the amount of rotation, and change it. I have found this extra level of control useful for tricky images.

Nor does it automatically crop. I would like an option to do so. OTOH, simply rotating with the Crop Tool worked perfectly for both possible levels in my test image, and correctly auto cropped.

One may also rotate with Edit=>Transform=>Rotate and mix rotation with the various other Transform tools at once. This is particularly useful when dealing with rotation and two axis perspective distortion. CTRL-Apostrophe adds a highly adjustable grid.

I've always had JPEGs set to open in ACR. What I don't understand is why other formats (if a single layer) don't open in ACR as well.

I guess I could ask, open from where? Explorer, Bridge, another image browser? For example, if I select a TIFF image in Bridge, and click on the Iris icon at the top, it opens in ACR. Or right click and select "Open in Camera Raw."

ACR TIFF file handling options are in Preferences=>File Handling=>Camera Raw Preferences=>JPEG and TIFF Handling. If you choose "Automatically open all supported TIFFs" AND set PS as the default program for TIFFs, double clicking on a TIFF in Explorer opens it in ACR. Likewise, if key "E" in FastStone is set to open <http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-editing/cs6-camera-raw-open-files/>a file in PS, it will then open in ACR first. In Bridge, a double click on the thumbnail then opens in ACR.

Enough ways to do it?

Open Up Moose