Re: [OM] IMG: New LifeFlight Helicopter

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: New LifeFlight Helicopter
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 17:39:13 -0500
> Nice.  It makes me want to fly helicopters, and that’s just not right :-)
> Mind you, I can fly the helicopter models in the simulator that I run at
> work; I enjoy telling the professional chopper pilots how easy it is, just to
> get a rise . . .

A friend of mine is a recently retired full bird colonel who ran a
squadron of AH-64D Apache Longbows out of one of the ARNG attack
battalions. He is of the opinion that it's the best tactical aircraft
ever built in ANY form. While I'm a huge fan of the A-10 Warthog, he
scoffed at it and would talk about the kill ratio, the ability to
point the gun anywhere just by turning his head and pick off
individuals with a single shot. And with the radar over the blades, he
could do it while nestled below a hill where the enemy can't even see
him. (I think he was also of the opinion that the Air Force was
worthless).

One of his pilots developed an interesting tactical move which only
the Apache could do. Flying directly over the target tank, you point
the helicopter straight down and then you do what would be a wing
roll. You pirouette over the target while unleashing the M230. It
would put a circle of holes right through the top of the target.
Bullets were cheaper than missiles.

AG