Re: [OM] Out of the Dark

Subject: Re: [OM] Out of the Dark
From: SwissPace <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 10:08:14 +0200
Nice torch ahem flashlight :-)

It must be a list thing, but I also have a few torches (flashlights) my favourite is my Sunwayman V10R Ti+ LED, I meant to get the adapter so I can use an AA battery but have not bothered until now, I also have a Bicycle light capable of 500 Lumens of light and here is where my rant starts, Torches (flashlights) seem to have entered a lumens war and have become far too powerful, when actually I use my sunwayman, it's mostly on the 1 lumen setting to negotiate the house, or camper when travelling, so as not to disturb the others, for me then I would love to see low power "infinite" lifetime battery torches, but last time I looked they were rare and as for bicycle lights they have now become far too bright and blinding and should be subject to the same rules as cars i.e. with a dip beam, same for bright rear lights, these are often blindingly bright especially in the rain.

I got stopped a couple of years ago by the police here for using flashing led lights on my bicycle, they say the car drivers don't like it and gave me a grey fleece hat with scotchlite for under my cycle helmet for the trouble (only in Switzerland?), I am not sure low power flashing lights are bad but if not then maybe another colour light should be allowed for bicycles so cars know that they are coming up against a slower moving vehicle, i.e cyclist.

BTW they do strobe flashlights for PP e.g LED Lenser M7R

<http://www.opticsplanet.com/led-lenser-m7r-rechargeable-led-flashlight.html>

Cheers IanW