Re: [OM] Flutterby Kits [was B'fly count at Appleton Farm & Hard life of

Subject: Re: [OM] Flutterby Kits [was B'fly count at Appleton Farm & Hard life of a caterpillar]
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayne.harridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2015 10:04:22 +1000
Very convincing evidence Moose.

...Wayne

-----Original Message-----
From: olympus
[mailto:olympus-bounces+wayne.harridge=structuregraphs.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
] On Behalf Of Moose
Sent: Saturday, 11 July 2015 9:15 AM
To: Olympus Camera Discussion
Subject: [OM] Flutterby Kits [was B'fly count at Appleton Farm & Hard life
of a caterpillar]

http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/NorthEas
t_2012/Maine/Coastal_Maine_Botanic_Garden&image=_9150911croof30.jpg

> The official 4th of July count (on the 3rd)  is below though I saw a very
tattered Painted Lady on the way back to the car that didn't make it in the
official version.

On 7/10/2015 6:46 AM, Dean Hansen wrote:
>       This summer I'm trying to use a Sony NEX-7 with 55-210mm lens
> and two Vello extensions for my butterfly shots.  It certainly is
> light, but I may well go back to my OM4T, 65-116 auto extension tube,
> and Tammy 60-300 outfit, heavy and unwieldy as it is.  I can't get
> consistent focus with the Sony, try as I may.  The 4T with the clear
> macro focusing screen was simply unbeatable for butterfly photography.
> While the Sony's pixel count is impressive, I got far more keepers
> with the OM set-up.

Coincidentally, I was just thinking of writing in response to Mike's recent
Flutterby images. Are you guys sure you have the right kits? I know that
shooting with Big Foot and it's brothers gives Mike a kick, I know the NEX-7
is supposed to be a good camera, I know people have been using fill flash
for this purpose forever - but what about the finished pudding?

I don't go out with the specific intent of finding and photographing
flutterbys, but I do find them on occasion and try shootin them. When we
went to the The Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Garden in Maine last fall, there
were flutterbys hanging around, especially on some flowering verbena.

I took 23 shots. Five to seven or so were not sharp enough for my taste.
Some others were poor poses, partially blocked, etc. Of the rest, some just
weren't as appealing as others.

Here are five of them. All but one have a full frame version and a crop, so
you can see what the full lens coverage was.
One has a 100% sample; not perhaps ready for prime time, but an idea of the
detail that's there.
<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=17808>

All were taken with Panny GX7 and M.Zuiko 75-300 @ 300 mm. I believed at the
time, perhaps erroneously, that the GX7 IBIS was better at 300 mm than the
E-M5. I have yet to take any flutterby shots with the E-M5 II, but, based on
other results, I believe they will be even better in fine detail. The
improved IBIS is like getting a new lens at the long end.

Anyway, the point is that I'm out and about, run into flutterbys, shoot them
with the camera and lens around my neck, and I'm getting better focus/DoF
and better fine detail than you guys. Often, even recently, we talk about
how it's the photographer, not the camera. But I'm not convinced I'm a
better photographer.

Might an Oly E-M5 II, 75-300, single center spot AF and f11 or so be a
better flutterby kit than what you've been using/trying?
You might look at the bird images I just posted, the Wilson's Warbler, in
particular - just in case you think it can't deal with things not in full
sun. :-)

If I were specifically looking for flutterbys, I might put an extension tube
on. The 75-300 works well with one.

Curiously Clear Moose