[OM] Hard life of a caterpillar

Subject: [OM] Hard life of a caterpillar
From: Dean Hansen <hanse112@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 08:46:39 -0500
Like Mike G, I've been out checking the local butterflies.  Two
highlights yesterday:  first, I brought along an experienced
birder/butterflier from Arizona, and he was in great spirits as I was
able to bring him to spots to see several new-for-him butterfly
species.  Second highlight was finding and photographing a sphinx moth
larva that was parasitized by scores of tiny wasps.  The wasp parasite
pupae adorned the hapless caterpillar.  See:
<http://wisconsinbutterflies.org/butterfly/sightings>, July 9 and July
4, for some examples of what was in flight.
     This summer I'm trying to use a Sony NEX-7 with 55-210mm lens and
two Vello extensions for my butterfly shots.  It certainly is light,
but I may well go back to my OM4T, 65-116 auto extension tube, and
Tammy 60-300 outfit, heavy and unwieldy as it is.  I can't get
consistent focus with the Sony, try as I may.  The 4T with the clear
macro focusing screen was simply unbeatable for butterfly photography.
While the Sony's pixel count is impressive, I got far more keepers
with the OM set-up.
Dean