Re: [OM] Tuckered out

Subject: Re: [OM] Tuckered out
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 11:10:51 -0500
Bob wrote:
> A colleague who took some of my slots when I retired has a card product
> that's 5x7, blank interior, and prints on her Epson. She sells them for $4,
> and they go by the wheelbarrows full. I swear she could make a decent
> living just selling her cards, never mind her canvas and paper prints.

I've been pricing this option and I can't get the numbers to work with
the Epson being the printer. Cost per unit is running over $2.50 if I
source everything in bulk. If I'm not working in bulk, the cost is
closer to $3.50 per piece. That's too narrow of a margin.

I'm looking at other options, but might have to table it for the
summer. I've got orders for six more 11x14s and a 16x20 to fill this
week, so that's good. I just need to move one of the metal prints to
make my nut.

As to the 5x7 cards or equivalents, I can do B&W Ilford double-weight
Portfolio-grade RC 5x7 prints for under $0.75 each. I think I'll fire
up the darkroom and print up a couple hundred of them. I can sell
those for $4.00 each without batting an eye. $150 of investment (plus
time) gives me $800 in sellable inventory. That works for me.

Between the two of us (DD#2 and me), we can plow through them pretty
fast. The hard part is getting the first one printed for each image.
Mass production is easy.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx