[OM] Tuckered out

Subject: [OM] Tuckered out
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2015 18:08:04 -0500
Well, it was a fascinating day. Lots of foot traffic and lots of
interest. "Open Gate" is a show-stopper for sure. But none of the big
prints sold. The Fine Art Metal prints are a winner in every regard,
though, but I couldn't part open the wallets. But that's OK, because
it is a bigger ticket item. AND they are big, which means that they
have to fit the decor of the house.

Karen convinced me to price the 11x14s at a flat $20 and that was a
good decision. They moved very well and I sold out almost every one.
$30 items never sold, but the $20 items did.

I had six images made up into three 11x14s each. One photo never sold
a single one, and everything else sold out except for one. The
Schoolhouse pictures and Open Gate sold out pretty quickly and I could
have easily sold twice as many. You never know what is going to sell.
What I thought was going to be high demand wasn't. But without the
variety, I would have been toast.

I have orders for a couple of prints, so it's a good $400 day
altogether. Not too shabby for first tima at this.

But, I need to move a couple of big prints now so I can pay my
printing bill... Tell you what, I'll give you all a HUGE discount if
you buy today. :)

Lessons learned:

1. Halo products are critical. Even though the big prints didn't sell,
they were important for driving traffic to the booth and for being
able to sell the more affordable version of the image.

2. For my market, $20 is a perfect price point. Everybody had $20
bills. There were zero CC transactions, even though I was fully
prepared for them.

3. For my market, I needed a $5 and $10 item. Something small. The
11x14s were too large for so many people. I think I could get away
with 8x10s for the same $20 price, but I needed something in the small
$5-10 bracket to be able to sell to everybody that walked by.

4. Some people thought they were paintings and were actually
disappointed to learn that they were photographs. Sometimes it pays to
keep your trap shut.

5. I need a very narrow and tall image. Something that will fit on the
end of a wall.

6. Postcards. For some odd reason, there is a demand for them.

7. Signage. I need signage.

The highlight of the day, though, was almost making a sale to Jane Sanders.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx