Re: [OM] OT: Fast Passenger Trains

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Fast Passenger Trains
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 20:09:16 -0400
That's about the same speed it used to run when I rode it every weekend during the summer of 1974. Maybe even a bit slower now than then. I remember being stopped for hours in Philadelphia because the fire department was fighting a large building fire and had their fire hoses strung all over the tracks. The problem then as now was crumbling railway infrastructure that would be inadequate now even if it was repaired. How are you going to run a high speed train at street level through Philadelphia? Who will provide the rights of way and power, etc for something like Maglev trackage. Even if you did, who would ride it at the price required to pay for the infrastructure development?

We got where we are because cars and truck are cheaper and more efficient with our time. The major infrastructure investment (100s of thousands of secondary and tertiary roads are already there and still required whether trains are used or not.

Chuck Norcutt