Re: [OM] Website Advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Website Advice
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 14:42:35 -0500
> My sincere response: You are the Chef. Please base your choice on what you
> will have to live with. We will survive; even if there is a little pain.
> Thank you for all you do.

Thank you. No, I'm not doing any changes to the TOPE2 Gallery. That's
staying put. It's an entirely different database and CMS.

I did look at Squarespace and considered it for a couple of minutes.
There are a couple of reasons why I'm not going that direction. One is
that it's not free for me. The other reason is that you are subject to
the whims of a third-party supplier. I like sticking with the
open-source CMS that are out there. In reality, Squarespace is
comparable to Wordperfect with a slightly more powerful layout engine.

In one aspect, I regret having built the site with Mambo back when,
but at the time it was the big kahuna and was definitely the best one
out there. But that was about the time when everybody threw a hissy
fit about the color of the bathroom walls, and split off and formed
Joomla. Meanwhile, a different team took over Mambo and fixed the bulk
of the software flaws which STILL exist in Joomla. No matter which
system I would have gone with back then, it would have required a site
rebuild by now as they ALL have had migration issues. The fact that it
is still running pretty solidly says something. All the issues are
human-error caused. It still gets 400-500 page views a day.

Wordperfect is the most used system out there and I've built multiple
sites with it. I'd say that it has the best third-party support right
now. I suppose there is safety in numbers.

As the "Chef" (Chief cook and bottle washer), I much prefer the taste
and texture of fresh chopped garlic, but I like the convenience of
opening up a jar of chopped garlic. While the fresh garlic makes for
better cooking, the jar of garlic means that I make good cooking more
often. Instead of one or two garlic-infused meals a week, I can make
every meal a garlic-infused meal.

Ken

--
Ken Norton