Re: [OM] E-M5 II IBIS praise - and a glitch?

Subject: Re: [OM] E-M5 II IBIS praise - and a glitch?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 23:19:53 -0700
On 3/29/2015 10:48 PM, ChrisB wrote:
It is a beautiful robin, Moose, although it looks different from the robins we
see in the UK.

Another example where European settlers named something quite different after something familiar from home. The birds aren't related and ours is also quite a bit larger.

I had one feeding from my hand at a bird reserve a few days ago, a first for me.

Nice!

You are the expert in this field, but that looks like a focus problem.  I
should not have noticed it as motion blur.  And is the fact that Focus Magic
sorted it out not an indication of that?

Both of the 100% crops are of the same shot, and no motion correction has been made to either. The lower body is simply sharp, right out of the camera. The head moved during the exposure, and is blurred. If you observe birds, they mostly move their head in very rapid 'snaps', not slower pans. Combine that with the way 600 mm eq. magnifies subject motion, and you get blur at 1/20 sec. when the head is moving.

Or is FM pretty good at resolving motion blur as well?

FM has two separate modes of operation, deconvolution "sharpening" and motion blur correction. The second full frame image at web size looks pretty darn good after motion blur correction, applied only to the blurred head area, using a mask. But you may notice there is no 100% sample of that, 'cause that looks pretty bad.

The motion correction can sometimes work what seem like miracles. With other images, it improves, but doesn't entirely correct. Shoot two people at too slow a speed, and you end up with two separate corrections. It gets tedious at that point, and needs to be a great shot or of very special people. :-)

Whatever my opinion, the result is very good.  Does the camera not have a
minimum speed to set with Auto ISO?

Nope, Oly doesn't so that. Some others do.

Or are you telling Olympus that that feature seems not to be working?

No, I'm saying that the Auto ISO on various other Oly and Panny µ4/3 bodies, including especially the first E-M5, on which the Mark II is supposed to be an improvement, works so well that I never felt the need for a minimum SS for the Auto ISO setting before. And hoping I can get that same functionality through a repair or firmware update.

I have 1/60th set as the minimum on all my Auto ISO settings.

Good luck with Olympus . . .

Thanks, Chum

Fingers Crossed Moose