Re: [OM] Battery question

Subject: Re: [OM] Battery question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 19:45:39 -0500
I have two Progo batteries and a Progo charger. I also have EZO batteries and, of course, Olympus batteries and chargers. They are all fully interchangeable. I've never tried to compare battery life based on battery brand or which charger did the charging. But I much prefer the Progo charger simply because it's smaller than the Oly charger and also has fold-away AC prongs. I bought an adapter for the Oly charger (actually advertised for some Apple product) that gives it fold-away prongs but I still reach for the Progo charger.

Incidentally, the Progo charger is (except for the location of the battery contacts) identical to the charger for my Samsung WB-650. I got it on ebay after buying it along with a pair of no-name batteries. The charger has no name either. The original Samsung charger is amongst the missing after the move but it's probably around here somewhere.

I just noticed that there are big differences between the claimed mAh ratings. EZO says 1020 mAh, Olympus 1220 mAh and Progo 1600 mAh. I don't think I believe the Progo number but, as Moose implies, who cares if you've got multiple batteries in hand?

I can only recall a few times where I had to change a battery while I was out shooting. But I do sometimes preemptively change batteries before I start shooting and I don't shoot 4-600 images/day as I used to years ago.

Chuck Norcutt