Re: [OM] IMG: Our 25th Anniversary

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Our 25th Anniversary
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 12:51:26 -0800
On 2/5/2015 10:19 PM, ChrisB wrote:
Thanks, chaps.

There will be something of Moose’s reasoning in it, the liability of the Crown, but I
don’t think that that was the main reason.  Here is a selection:

1.      There were 2 accidents in which air cadets (14-year old kids in the Air
Training Corps) died.  Apart from having to tell parents that their children
had died, probably needlesly, that produced bad publicity.

2.      Spouses are civilians; let’s not risk killing any more civilians.

3.      Spouses in the same aircraft are likely to prompt the pilot to carry out manoeuvres
to impress them; my wife didi not want anything but a quiet flight straight and level
– she wasn’t feeling very well.

4.      It looks like a good deal, to fly your wife or husband; why should the
taxpayer fund such jollies?

That sort of thing, but mainly an increasing aversion to any sort of risk that
is infecting our armed forces

It does seem sensible to me that the armed forces should avoid spending money on activities that risk civilian lives. I'd rather think they should minimize the risks to their personnel to those necessary to proper training, as well.

  as well as other walks of life.  It’s saddening.

The particular area that has struck me lately is the madness about risk to children. A wonderful book, "How to Raise Free Range Kids", documents how parents today are restricting their childrens' lives while causing themselves extra work, worry and expense - all to avoid risks that are either minimal or non-existent.

There are lots of statistics and examples. One that stands out for me, a perfect example of the Law of Unintended Consequences, is telling children not to talk to strangers. There have been several instances where children who have been abducted by being grabbed on public streets. When asked why they didn't scream for help, the children said they had been told over and over again never to speak to strangers. By being afraid of the almost infinitesimal number of people who are dangers, we have made our children fearful of the overwhelming majority who would go out of their way, even risk their own lives, to keep the children of strangers safe.

We have created a fear based society.

Let It Flow Moose