Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 31/1/2015: the human face of the crisis

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 31/1/2015: the human face of the crisis
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2015 13:36:20 -0800
On 2/1/2015 7:47 AM, ChrisB wrote:
Indeed, Chuck.  But “long term” is not in the vocabulary of businesses in your
country or mine.

Chris

On 1 Feb 2015, at 15:19, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The banks (and everyone else) would have been very much better off in
negotiating some sort of long term reduced/delayed payment plan with the buyers.

How do we know the bank didn't try? With both mortgagees out of work, perhaps
they couldn't even manage that?

Instead they've thrown all parties (including themselves) under the bus. Stupid.

How do you know that? Only one side has presented their case, and I'll bet you know as little as I do about tax laws and accounting rules in Spain. For all we know, this may have been the best financial outcome possible for the bank.

Simple, local example of misinformation. A beloved bookstore closed here a few years ago, at the end of its lease, even though it had gone through a reorganization and cash infusion. There was much breast beating, moaning and gnashing of teeth. The bookstore relocated to a much cheaper, and less desirable part of town, where it survives in reduced circumstances.

The point is, though, that everyone I know believed that a greedy landlord had demanded increased rent. Someone told me that. At least some of us (me, for example) quietly enjoyed it that the space remained empty for years, assuming the landlords got their comeuppance.

Now a small local chain is opening a bookstore in the space, and has revealed that the landlord had actually offered reduced rent to the old store if they would stay. Apparently they knew they couldn't afford even that.

BUT, they had to know about the rumor, and did nothing to correct the story. Preferring perhaps to be seen as victims of a rapacious landlord, not as incompetent or unable to avoid or adjust to a nationwide change in the market. Apparently, the number of bricks and mortar independent booksellers in the US bottomed out and has been increasing. Others hereabouts have survived, and even prospered. Was it "Bad Landlord", or bad management, or ???

Is It the Truth Moose