Re: [OM] IMGs: Desert Botanical Garden

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGs: Desert Botanical Garden
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 08:02:14 -0500
The gray weather of the approaching cold front has left your photos lacking in contrast. They could do with a little boost.

Chuck Norcutt

On 1/14/2015 10:43 AM, Chris Trask wrote:
      Yesterday was free entry day at the Phoenix Desert Botanical Garden, so I
ventured there to give my newly acquired Samyang 28-200mm lens a workout.  Very
few of the plants were in flower, but there were a couple of interesting
specimens.

      We normally think of aloes as being short plants with thick, narrow
leaves and flowers at the end of long stalks.  This one, however, a Quiver Tree
(Aloe dichotoma), native to Namibia and South Africa, is in the form of a small
tree:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/16093371879/

and was in full bloom:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/16091955108/

      Nearby there was a nicely arranged plot of succulents but without any
herbarium tags.  This one was particularly interesting:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/15657101474/

      A cold front was rapidly approaching:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/16092120690/

and I made it back to my pickup just as the rain began to fall.

      Next month there should be more plants blooming.

Chris

      - Hunter S. Thompson