Re: [OM] OT: Charlie Hebdo

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Charlie Hebdo
From: "philippe.amard" <philippe.amard@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 17:33:32 +0100

Le 13 janv. 15 à 15:55, Bob Whitmire a écrit :

The report said the edition would be printed in 16 languages. Surely English will be one of them.

Idle curiosity while in a surreal Charlie frame of mind: I have been told that France has laws, which are enforced, against insulting the national anthem. Could this be true?

It is now "unfortunately" true, Article 133 of a 2003 Act.
Officially published here in 2010.
http://www.textes.justice.gouv.fr/decrets-10181/decret-relatif-a-loutrage-au-drapeau-francais-20048.html

However, it doesn't not apply to works of art for it was meant to tackle football hooligans in the public sphere in the first place (hence my initial "unfortunately").

A couple of years before Gainsbourg had teased us a little bit with this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLq7EcvRaf0

The guy had bought the original lyrics at an auction.
The right wing was furious and some far-right soldiers threatened him at a concert in Strasbourg. But he managed to stop them by singing the original version, which brought them to attention ...

Now you may have a slight idea of how cheeky the frogs are, and why Charlie now represents such a symbol.

Hope this helps.
Amities
Philippe

--Bob Whitmire