Re: [OM] OT: Charlie Hebdo

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Charlie Hebdo
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 08:26:54 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>The report said the edition would be printed in 16 languages. Surely English
>will be
>one of them.
>
>Idle curiosity while in a surreal Charlie frame of mind: I have been told that
>France
>has laws, which are enforced, against insulting the national anthem. Could
>this be true?

     I wouldn't doubt it.  When I lived there in the early 60s, AFRTS was not
allowed to broadcast television as the French government did not want the
French public exposed to American culture.  They presently do not allow
Arab/Muslim women to wear the traditional headdress that covers all but the
eyes.

     The result of the ban on AFRTS television in France was that I got to
listen to all of the old radio shows, plus some that were produced specifically
for AFRTS.  One in particular was produced right at the AFRTS studio at HQ US
Army Europe (Orleans) called "Springfield USA", which depicted life in a US
town after a communist takeover of the US.  I have not found a single reference
to that anywhere, but I still remember it.

     There is a radio network here in the US that syndicates the old radio
shows back into the 1930s.  One of them is "I Was a Communist for the FBI",
which was a 1952-1954 pro-McCarthy production:

http://www.otrfan.com/otr/series/c4fbi.html

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson