Re: [OM] (OT) Field Glasses recommendations - Chuck comments on exit pup

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Field Glasses recommendations - Chuck comments on exit pupil diameter
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 22:29:01 -0500
The moon isn't out but Orion's belt and sword are shining brightly. The Pentax thingies definitely focus well past infinity. But I can't tell you if it's -3 diopters worth. Let the Ricoh service reps earn their bread. See this page for Pentax/Ricoh support contact info
<http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/support>

Chuck Norcutt

CN writes:

I think she may be good.  I'm sure that the diopter adjustment is
relative to the other eyepiece so it shouldn't matter what the
focusing
distance is.  If it will go beyond infinity I should think that will
combine with the -2 on the diopter to go further minus.  I'm in the
house now and the furthest thing I can see is a tall radio tower that
I'd guess to be 1/2 mile or further away.  I put the 200/4 on my OM-1
with split image screen and that combination thinks the tower is at
infinity.  When it's focused the focusing collar is hard up against
the
infinity stop.  Then I decided to try the 70-300 on the E-M5 at 300mm
first with autofocus followed by manual adjustment.  At 300mm on the
E-M5 the tower is not at infinity but there's not much focusing
beyond it.

If I try the same thing on the Pentax 8x25s it focuses way, way
beyond
the tower.  If I think of it and the moon is out tonight I'll try
again
on the moon which any optical system will say is at infinity.

Thanks Chuck,

As I read a bit more, I see the diopter correction on the binoculars is
just for equalizing the focus between the two eyes (very unlike the
diopter corrections for camera VF's)  and they leave at least some play
in the focusing for those who are near or far-sighted and don't wish to
use glasses or contacts.  Whether they leave 4 or 5 diopters worth for
any given model is unclear. That could be tested easily enough.
I suppose they should list that parameter in the specs.

Loony Mike

Thanks flutteringby Moose and Chuck.  Yes the Pentax website says +/-
2
diopters for the 8X25's.  I really don't know enough about these
items.
I don't know if that is the correction between left and right
or the overall correction.  I suspect 6ft is often close enough as any
closer I will have my flutterby macro kit at the ready.  The -2 could
be
an issue.  Looking into this a bit more I see NABA (North Am b'fly
Assoc) has a page on b'fly binoculars but they are not as gear savvy
as
here. Have a presentation at the Pituitary Soc meeting followed by
another meeting in San Diego in  March and I see Marnie bought a flt
SF as well as hers to SF, so perhaps can try Moose's again if all
works
out.

Hovering over a couple choices but unable to land yet, Mike

CN writes:

No markings on diopter correction eyepiece.  Maybe Pentax site has
specs.

Oh, forgot to ask about diopter corrections.  It seems one adjusts
this
so each eye is sharp but what if say Marnie uses w/o contacts and has
-4 or -5 correction.
It would seem one might be able to focus closer but infinity focus
might
be an issue unless it allows one to focus well past it for those with
0
correction required.

Mike