Re: [OM] Last week's achievement

Subject: Re: [OM] Last week's achievement
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2014 20:33:31 +1300

Rick Beckrich wrote

Trim looking hull, Brian. Hopefully you've got
new tires for that trailer.
(Something I once forgot... And nearly paid
dearly.)

No, they are 40 years old but stored in the dark and mostly
cool. Checked out OK in the mandatory Ministry test.
I DO have a fresh
set on other rims, as spares. Triumph 2000 rims.

Chris Trask wrote

Looks pretty decent after it was cleaned up. Was the engine "pickled"
properly before putting it into storage?

I had it serviced before
laying up and periodically I have sparyed CRC 6-66 in all nooks and
crannies. There IS corrosion on some of the exterior screws etc though.
Johnson went belly-up in 2002 so spares and servcing will be a problem.
Cooling impellor and gaskets.

Chris B wrote
Looks like it will float
all right, Brian. Why didn?t you use your Range Rover for the
tow?
Chris
While I have has severe problems with the RR Electronic Air
Suspension sorted out, to my utter amazement it has developed starting
problems which seem to be caused by a solenoid that runs the glow-plugs.
They do not glow any more, and it seems that mere compression in a
compression-ignition motor doesn't cut the mustard for starting. With an
alternative available for $80 a day I decided to hire the Nissan.
Starting the Nissan was a revelation. from cold, maybe 5 seconds glow
plug, from warm 1 second or less, then it started, just like that ...

I located and ( with some difficulty saved - it seemed to be protected
by an anti-saving protocol) the Electronic Faults manual for the RR. 576
pages in all. I kid you not. I printed it all out excluding the bits
that dealt only with the petrol versions. Tracking through the manual is
quite some exercise.

Moose wrote

On 12/24/2014 2:14 AM,