Re: [OM] USB Turntables etc, was Re: (OT) Adios, Joe!

Subject: Re: [OM] USB Turntables etc, was Re: (OT) Adios, Joe!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 14:33:06 -0800
On 12/24/2014 2:11 PM, Steve Troy wrote:
Like this?

http://www.elpj.com/

On 12/24/2014 2:15 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
I've wondered why no one seems to have developed a laser groove reading
system.
... The
followup ELP was much better and addressed everything but the clicks
and pops. I'm not sure if this one feature ever made it into
production, but the prototypes we tested allowed us to adjust the
depth in the groove to read. The read lasers in the prototypes had an
adjustable width and aim. If the record had wear patterns, you could
adjust the depth to avoid it. And if you kept the laser depth wide, it
would average out the signal across the entire groove wall, which
almost totally eliminated the clicks and pops. ... But we used them for
front-ending into digital editing systems for remastering.

Well, all I had to do was ask! :-)

Perhaps that explains the unusually good remastered versions of some ancient
stuff.

Not going to pull the chorus out from under the water of the Rhine in Furtwangler's Beethoven's Ninth from the '51 Bayreuth Festival, I suspect.

Gurgle Gurgle Moose