Re: [OM] USB Turntables etc, was Re: (OT) Adios, Joe!

Subject: Re: [OM] USB Turntables etc, was Re: (OT) Adios, Joe!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 13:43:17 -0800
On 12/24/2014 11:23 AM, Bill Pearce wrote:
What you must remember is that each and every time you play vinyl, it degrades a bit. how much is based on your cartridge and stylus.

I've wondered about that. Most materials have a degree to which they may be deformed and recover completely. Anything beyond that causes permanent damage, anything less may be repeated ad infinitum without damage. Basic engineering, without which bridges, tall buildings and pretty much everything else we make would be impossible or impractical.

I don't know the parameters for old or new vinyl used for LPs, but in theory there could be a stylus pressure light enough to cause no damage. If allowed to rest between playings, as Paul notes.

I've wondered why no one seems to have developed a laser groove reading system.

Groovy Moose