[OM] USB Turntables etc, was Re: (OT) Adios, Joe!

Subject: [OM] USB Turntables etc, was Re: (OT) Adios, Joe!
From: "Ian Manners" <void@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2014 01:15:30 +0800 (WST)
Hi Paul,

> There's a huge resurgence in vinyl popularity, mostly driven by nostalgia,
> I believe. I'm not one of those who is saying that unilaterally vinyl
> sounds far superior to digital - I've got plenty of vinyl, and close to
> 2000 cd's. It's all in the mastering. I've heard vinyl that was poorly
> mastered as well. I don't miss surface noise, pops, scratches, warps. I
> don't miss increasing distortion as the tonearm moves to the tighter-radius
> curves on the inside tracks. The first time I could listen to Kansas'
> "Monolith" album was when I bought the CD, since I went through 5
copies of
> the vinyl release and could never get one that wasn't warped or full of
> foreign matter in the vinyl that caused serious pops and skips.

I'm finding so much vinyl thats not available on CD, and
like you I've heard crap on both vinyl and digital formats
but also some really great stuff on both.

> I do miss full-size album art and liner notes. I also miss the programming
> on vinyl - since you had to flip it over, generally the producer would
> front-load side "A" with the strong songs, then the energy waned a bit.
> Then they'd put more strong songs at the top of side "B" and go from there.
> That way, the energy had ups and downs. When CD started to become
popular,
> new releases would front-load all of the hits at the top of the cd and it
> often just went downhill from there.

I find I would 'rip' just one song off a CD, unless it was
Pink floyd or similiar with concept albums. Records would
have at least a few good songs, often at least 1/2 the album
was great.

The modern 'albums' seem to have all the effort put
into a seller song/track, the rest of the album is basically
filler, stuff you can listen to but you normally remember
the album for the one song. exluding concept albums and
there dont seem to be that many new ones around.

> I think a lot of the current revival of vinyl comes from the "hipster"
> movement where they'll say that vinyl is obviously superior and if you
> can't tell that, you're clearly deaf.

I am deaf, well, seriously getting there :(

The 'Golden ear people', this set of 1m long $6,000
RCA to RCA gold plated cables with make anything
sound like a million dollars, or how about this great
$7,000 HDMI cable with ethernet, not forgetting
the specially polarised and pre aligned electron
copper speaker cables :)

Cheers
Ian Manners
Of nowhere in particular.