Re: [OM] IMGs: Dream Car

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGs: Dream Car
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2014 17:06:37 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>>> Yes, indeed. A pretty advanced car. Fiberglass body, like the
>>> Corvette. First American production car to offer front disc brakes.
>>> Released in 1962, the year of my birth,  so that just makes it
>>> cooler. Designed by Raymond Loewy's firm, assembled right next door
>>> in South Bend, IN.
>>

>Jaguar imported the concept to automobiles I read. It was in in 1953
>for Le Mans.
>The Citroen DS had them as early as 1955, stock.

     The Citroen DS19 was also the first to have hydraulic suspension and the
successively collapsing body design to absorb the impact of a collision.  GM
tried hydraulic suspension in the 1958 Chevy Impala, but it had so many
problems they recalled them and removed it, or so I understand.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson