Re: [OM] Moose caught in a web of lies?

Subject: Re: [OM] Moose caught in a web of lies?
From: Larry Griffin via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 08:16:40 -0800
On 12/04/2014 10:03 PM, Moose wrote:
On 12/4/2014 6:38 AM, Larry Griffin via olympus wrote:
The subject of penetrating oil comes up quite often on stovebolt.com. There is a DYI penetrating oil that has tested better than most of the over the counter oils. It is a mixture of 50/50 ATF and Acetone.

As I am running low on Liquid Wrench, I did some modest research, and bought some Kroil, which seems to get better, more enthusiastic reviews. Haven't had occasion to use it yet.
The Stovebolter's take their penetrating oil seriously, they deal with Chev trucks up to `1972 Somebody did post a link (sorry didn't keep) to the Water Displacement study done during WWII. In my experience there is no, 'Magic' penetrating oil that works, on contact, or even shortly there after. Kroil mfg by Kano is the best thread lubricant I've found. It actually did work overnight on some fender bolts. Lucas Oil came out with a 'penetrating oil' recently. I bought a can at the FLAP (friendly local auto parts) store, haven't tried it yet.

The problem as I have heard it with WD-40 is Paraffin.

And the problem with the word 'paraffin' on this international list, is that it refers to quite different things in various parts of the world. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraffin>
I'm not sure that covers it all, either.
Considering the liberal use of "called", AKA, etc.,,, I'm sure you are correct. Can we generally accept that it is some form of wax such as Earwax, Beeswax. :)

What ever it(paraffin?) is overtime it will gum-up a coin acceptor beyond use, and is nasty to remove.

btw there are some biodegradable cleaners at the auto parts store that will remove paint if, left in contact.

 Generally Larry

Waxed Moose