Re: [OM] Moose caught in a web of lies?

Subject: Re: [OM] Moose caught in a web of lies?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 15:56:37 -0800
On 12/2/2014 5:36 AM, Chris Trask wrote:

      It's America's favourite lubricant, even though it's not supposed to be used as a
lubricant.  I've come across all sorts of bicycle bearings that suffer from what I call
"WD-40 Syndrome", where the WD-40 has dried out to form a thick goo.

I've certainly run into that sort of thing. I didn't think the residue came primarily from WD-40. A lot of real lubricants lose their more volatile components with time, heat, stress, and become gummy, or worse. Seems to me WD-40 just temporarily reinvigorates them, until it mostly evaporates. Of course they are never as effective WD-40ed as properly re-lubed, and deteriorate again quickly

I'll squirt in some Liquid Wrench to loosen it, then chase it out with 30W
motor oil to chase it out.

      A few days ago we had a couple come into the bike shop with a crippled
rear wheel.  They had taken it to a commercial shop and wer told that their
gooed-up hub would cost $130 in parts to replace.  I asked to see it, and yes,
it felt like it was in the advanced stages of WD-40 Syndrome as the pawls were
just barely clicking and engaging the spline.  I didn't have any Liquid Wrench
available, so I gave it a shot of WD-40 to start, which loosened it up.  Then
gave it repeated applications of 30W motor oil until the fluid that came out
was reasonably clear.

Is the motor oil a long term solution? I've not done any such rebuilding for many ages, but I think I used white lithium grease, and maybe Moly for wheel bearings?

Lubricated Moose