Re: [OM] The lenses are here...

Subject: Re: [OM] The lenses are here...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 13:03:02 -0800
On 12/4/2014 8:26 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
The first 25 years we were married, we moved 39 times, including several
moves overseas.  The only way I knew to clean house was to move!  We are
never moving again, though.
For me, it's seven moves in the first 20 years of marriage. I still
have stuff in boxes from when we first got married.

I'm pretty close to the opposite end of the scale. My parents moved a couple of times after I was born, but not again after I was six. Mom died in that house, which she had first moved into when she started high school (1935?) and last moved into in 1951.

I moved from that house into an apartment in ~'62, moved from it into a small house in '69 and across the street and up two doors in '81.

A whole two moves as an adult. Both hardly 'normal. I hardly owned anything to move the first time, and the second was such a short distance that it was actually awkward.

Now, with the change in capital gains tax law on primary residences and an amazingly low basis, rolled forward from 1969 under the old law, moving would be a tax expensive proposition. Not that I have any urge to move. There are many beautiful, wonderful places in the world, but I've yet seen one I would prefer to where I am, long term.

Stick in the Moose