Re: [OM] Changing the question: was: Any suggestions for a VOIP provider

Subject: Re: [OM] Changing the question: was: Any suggestions for a VOIP provider?
From: Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 04:02:09 -0800
I found the comment about 5000mS latency so interesting, so I ran some tests on
international connections.
there are lots of free tests available.
this discusses a good set of choices :
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/speedtests/tp/Internet-download-speed-tests.htm

this tests your local connection for jitter and other QOS issues:
http://www.megapath.com/speedtestplus/

Ookla speed tests has lots of test servers all over the place, but reports ping
time, which I assume is roundtrip (?), while speakeasy speed test reports
latency. Not sure if that is one way to the server they are using, most likely
roundtrip too.

I got somewhat different but repeatable results , so likely just different
servers they were accessing?

Now this is testing at 2AM in CA, so not exactly peak US traffic times, but I
was mostly interested in pinging servers outside of US, as internally in US
when on wired isp, I have not had voip QOS issues.

South Africa   capetown 300mS (midday SA time)

Calafarte in southern Argentina, in the pampas : 270mS "ping" (middle of the
night)
For USA comparison:

Washington DC,NY,NJ   : all  ~ 63mS "latency"  100mS "ping"

San Francisco (20mi away) ~22mS "latency"   28mS "ping"

yellow knife in Canada ,farthest North server,140mS "ping"

st Croix in Caribbean 130mS "ping"

mobile AL USA 90mS "ping"
Melbourne Australia 305mS "ping" (10pm local time) but connection seemed flakey
and failed upload test

Dusseldorf Germany 190mS "ping" (~ midday)
Honolulu Hawaii (104mS) middle of night
Irkutsk Siberia 260mS "ping"
addisadiba ethiopia 800mS "ping"

Raleigh NC 104mS "ping"

Interesting to check USA speeds at normal peak hours, maybe when Netflix is
streaming heavily in early evening?

If North Carolina slows to 5000mS ,you may have better luck calling Irkutsk or
even Addisabiba !
Skype to skype, is peer to peer, so should find an approximately optimal
routing, I wonder how that fares versus dedicated but longer routing that Ken
describes?

However when calling to many  international **landlines**, skype aparently gets
routed through europe, so calling an australian landline on skype, is going to
have a lot more delay.

Tim