Re: [OM] ebay special

Subject: Re: [OM] ebay special
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 10:47:38 -0800
So why take the rep of the 14-150 at face value? Where is this rep from, anyway?
Moose, I would really like the 14-150 to produce results as good as the 40-150. It would mesh nicely with the 9-18. Right now I carry the 12-50 on the camera and can attach the 40-150 to a pack strap for a quick change. No way am I going to carry two bodies like you. Or 3 lenses.

However the reputation of the 14-150 on the forums isn't so good. It isn't helped by people posting examples of 'Look, I get sharp photos with it' which are actually pretty soft. Most I think are because of poor technique. My expectations for these bridge zooms aren't high. I was never very enamored by the old Tamron 24-whatever and quickly re-sold the 70-300 and 18-180 4:3'rds lenses. I wanted to like them but the 50-200 is clearly in another league even with the 1.4x.

Maybe I should give it a chance. These inexpensive kit lenses are really much better than they used to be. I'll keep an eye out for one but can't pay retail. For now I just don't mind the "hole" between the 9-18 and the 40-150. Just thinking out loud here... The 12-40 has too much over lap but sure looks sweet... How about stick with 18-100 or so?? Seems like the extra reach is at the expense of sharpness.

Mike