[OM] Fwd: OM 180mm F2.8 opinions

Subject: [OM] Fwd: OM 180mm F2.8 opinions
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 13:00:26 -0500
Addendum:

Gary Reese listed the 200mm f5 MC too:
http://zone-10.com/cmsm/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=272&Itemid=97

Suspect the performance is vastly under-rated given how light it is. Telephoto stabilizer doohickey or shot filled bean bag may do wonders like on my Z. 50-250.
It doesn't appear very many were manufactured.

Key omission, Mike

CV180 f4:   485 gm 66mm X 59mm --49mm filter!! MFD 1.2m Max mag 1:4
bokeh very nice

Zuiko 200 f5 MC:   380gm 105mm X 62mm 49mm filter MFD 2.5m Max mag
about 1:10

Zuiko 200 f4  510gm  127mm long X67mm diam   55mm filter  MFD 2.5m

The OM tilt-shift bellows requires a special order form the secret
Wyoming factory discovered by John Lind:

http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om140.jpg

but the Z. 200mm f5 MC is slightly easier to acquire.  I am 99% certain
Jeff K  has one or two though they are hard to find.

http://lists.tako.de/Olympus-OM/2009-10/msg00499.html

I wouldn't have Big Foot's longer brother w/o help from this list.
Jeff is very very good at locating hard to come by items.  (perhaps a
few more very's are in order)  A CV 180 in OM mount even 5 years ago
was exceedingly tough to locate after they were no longer available NIB.
I looked diligently all over.  Jeff suggested I contact an ebay seller
in HK directly as he seemed to list the occasional CV lens.   I did
contact him and he kept his eye out at HK shops for used items, and one
in very nice shape showed up in less than 2 weeks for a good price no
less.

Mike

Is all this in a way another throwback to the "need for speed" from
film days as
Chuck mentioned?

At the risk of heresy may I suggest the Cosina Voigtländer SL
APO-Lanthar
180mm f/4 SL which is available in OM mount.
One can put it in a pocket and is tack sharp wide open with
essentially no
discernible CA.

A lovely lens, as are its siblings. :-)

It excels at medium and close distances  (Very good, but less
impressive at
infinity) and natively goes to 1:4.

For tack sharp at normal distances, but not for compactness (and not
necessarily
for close work, as I haven't tested
that), my ancient, earliest version 200/4 Nikkor just flat whupped both
my 200/4
and 200/5, center and edge.

I love to use it for critters on a bit of extension to keep a large
working
distance.  Only thing in that FL range
more compact is the Zuiko 200/5 which seems to be a bit tough to find
in MC
variety though I haven';t looked in awhile.

Do you think they really exist? I believe I've seen one pic of one
example, but
perhaps a prototype or mock-up? Back in
my active OM equipment gathering days, I never saw one for sale.

Oh, the bokeh on the CV is super at many background distances (not
all).  Did
I say it is small?

You did, and it is. :-)

I suppose part of the more complex optical formula (9-7 vs. 5-4) is to
allow the
shorter physical length. It's about the
same weight, if you include hood, as the Zuiko 200/4, and the same
diameter, but
considerably shorter. As with all
telephotos, the front lens node is in front of the glass, but further
in front
than with the Zuiko, and even more than
the Nikkor.

Now that's made me think, and check. The mount to front length of the
Nikkor-Q
is about 157 mm. Combined with the
register distance of 46.5 mm, that's over 203 mm, which puts the front
node
roughly inside the front element, not out in
front of the physical lens.

Perhaps the lack of much telephoto design is why the lens performs so
well with
such a simple optical design?

I can See Clearly Moose