Re: [OM] Where to sell was Re: Images sold!

Subject: Re: [OM] Where to sell was Re: Images sold!
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 10:40:26 -0600
> There are quite a few stock shooters on
> Alamy who make a living at it.  Jeff Greenberg, for example, has over
> 100,000 photos with them and does quite well.  I'm in the top 500 but a big
> drop down from Jeff!

The people making the most money have identified what sells very well
and produce strictly for that. You'll see that they photograph an iPad
from 500 different angles and studio lighting settings. And then six
months later, they'll do it again, and again...

> I started out in stock in the 1980's when you used to have to send out
> pages of slides and wait forever to hear back from publishers.  Now it's
> all overnight and immediate, but the prices are not nearly what they used
> to be.

1989 was when I entered the stock game. It was a trip, that's for
sure. In 1991, I had several sheets of slides that never made it back.
Lost income. So sorry, have a nice day.

Prices are certainly MUCH lower. What used to be $2500 for a cover
photograph is now $175 and we have far fewer cover sales than ever
before. An inside shot, which used to be $250 is now $25. Publishers
totally jerk us around and I'm thankful that I don't have to deal with
them anymore. I just do those sales directly through Alamy and let
them do the negotiating. When approached by somebody about a
photograph that I have, I'll upload it to Alamy and then let them buy
it through them. Yes, I lose 50% of the revenue, but the revenue is at
least twice as high and I DO get paid.

My only gripe about Alamy is that I really would like to know who is
actually buying the photo and for what publication/use. But that's a
minor complaint. "Alamy Measures" is gold.

> I never signed up for Novel Use and don't lease RF.

I was half/half with RM/RF. It really depends on the photograph. But
I've been migrating more and more towards RF as I get more sales with
it. Actually, now that I think of it, all of my new uploads are about
90% RF. Alamy does do one thing that's nice. If an image is RF, but
hasn't been sold yet, they will shift it to RM upon customer request.
There's some fine print about this, though.

> I quit Getty when they stopped allowing the choice of RM licensing cut the
> photographers' percentage to 20%.  I've always heard that Getty cares about
> photographers the way McDonald's cares about cows and it's true!  I
> wouldn't touch any of the micro-stock agencies with a 10 foot pole.  They
> and Getty have ruined what used to be a good business.

Getty has certainly turned into the armpit of the stock-photo
industry. I wouldn't recommend it to my biggest enemy.

AG