Re: [OM] Hershey, PA butterfly house

Subject: Re: [OM] Hershey, PA butterfly house
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 18:26:45 -0800
days.

There are a few New World rain forest species near the bottom of this gallery. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=14927> The open Morpho is perhaps interesting. After landing and crawling around on Carol's pants, it flew away to land in a tree, where a leaf blocked its >>middle. I took two shots at different angles and put bits together to form one image.<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=15033>

Thanks for fluttering by, Moose. Those are nice. I recall an excellent b'fly aviary in SF.

Might that have been between May 2013 and March 2014? The Conservatory of Flowers in GG Park had a Butterflies and Blooms exhibit going then, which was good. I'm not aware of any others.

There is one not too far from me and perhaps I should make an effort to get there. I had shot a few with OM gear at one in Niagara Falls Ontario--seems to be run by the School of Horticulture and is a very good one. Here is one shot with OM gear:

http://www.olyendomike.com/Other/Kite-NF-2007-Bfly/32337987_ZDvqhf#!i=2814756806&k=VM4422Q&lb=1&s=L

Nicely caught, as is the following Morpho, but flash seems to my eye stronger than ideal. If the original isn't blown, that could be corrected?

Longwings are generally graceful/slow flyers and forgiving of photogs.

Less need for speed, perhaps, in the rain forest than out in open temperate
fields?

Perhaps I'll get more tomorrow, with better gear, although our visit to the Academy of Science my son and his wife is to see primarily the Skulls exhibit before it closes 11/30.

I have read they are on the intelligent side and have a social order while roosting with the elders getting prime spots. Seems odd to
me.

Elders getting prime spots sounds OK to me! ;-)

Prime Moose