Re: [OM] Hershey, PA butterfly house

Subject: Re: [OM] Hershey, PA butterfly house
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 07:23:39 -0500
You are correct as long as the white stripes are accepted. The state's link <http://dos.myflorida.com/florida-facts/florida-state-symbols/state-butterfly/> specifically states that the stripes are yellow but other sources show them as white.

I don't recall that I've ever seen one. I've spent a lot of time prowling the northern Everglades but they supposedly prefer hardwood hammocks. I didn't have much access to those, mostly just marsh.

Chuck Norcutt

That attractive critter is a zebra longwing, Heliconius charitonia.  I
have only seen them in B'fly aviaries but it is the
state B'fly of Fl, IIRC.

Mostly just know what's flying 'round here (currently nothing), Mike