Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 6/11/2014: two Copenhagen shopkeepers

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 6/11/2014: two Copenhagen shopkeepers
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2014 14:36:38 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>> > I flew to Copenhagen yesterday morning, spent a few hours there and then
>> > took the train to Aarhus where I am now. When I arrived at Copenhagen’s
>> > Central Station on the local train from the airport, my first priority
>> > was to eat a Danish sausage/hot dog—they are simply the best. This is the
>> > traditional fast food of Denmark. There used to be many more of these
>> > sausage carts, but they have suffered somewhat from the arrival of the
>> > burger troughs about 30-40 years ago. But there are still plenty around,
>> > including ones selling organic and vegan sausages. These were neither,
>> > but still delicious:

      When we first arrived in Paris at the Gare du Nord in 1960, I was amazed
at my first experience with French food.  A hotdog vendor outisde the station
took a piece of baguette and jammed it on a spike.  He then asked what you
wanted on it.  He removed the piece of baguette, spooned the condiments into
the hole, then slid the sausage into it.  I was amazed!  A hotdog that would
not fall apart in your hands.

     Immdeiately after that I had another amazing experience with French
culture:  A ride in a Citroen DS19 taxi.  Just one arm on the steering wheel,
and no sense of road bumps.

     A week later I had my first Petits Fours.  We didn't understand that the
rum sauce inside was real rum, so I ended up being drunk for the first time at
the age of nine.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson