Re: [OM] OT: System Security Announcement on evilBay

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: System Security Announcement on evilBay
From: Jez Cunningham <jez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 11:53:52 +0100
Maybe eBay does get higher prices if it discourages sniping.
The reverse seems to be true - that buyers get lower prices if they snipe.

Quote from Ken Rockwell http://kenrockwell.com/tech/ebay/index.htm:

4.) Bid only at the last second
<http://kenrockwell.com/tech/ebay/how-to-bid.htm>, and bid the absolute
maximum you would ever want to pay
<http://kenrockwell.com/tech/ebay/whats-it-worth-to-you.htm>. You'll win,
and only pay a couple of dollars above the second highest bidder's bid
<http://kenrockwell.com/tech/ebay/pay-less.htm>, regardless of your bid
amount.

If you early-bid <http://kenrockwell.com/tech/ebay/early-bidding.htm> (any
time before the very last few *seconds*), you let everyone else who bid
early know that they just got out-bid, and you'll now have 12 inexperienced
bidders acting on emotion, not logic, trying to outbid you just for the
sake of it. That's called "auction fever
<http://kenrockwell.com/tech/ebay/auction-fever.htm>."

Bidding only at the last second is the best way to spare people from paying
too much. *Never* bid earlier than the last few seconds. If you do, all the
other bidders will get emails and instant messages and pages letting them
know they just got outbid with enough time to act on it.

Early bidding, the worst sin on eBay, jacks up prices for everyone. Sellers
and eBay love it, but if you want to pay the best prices and win, never bid
before the last moment.