Re: [OM] OT: System Security Announcement on evilBay

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: System Security Announcement on evilBay
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 14:16:40 -0700
On 10/19/2014 1:15 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
I'd suggest you disable Java after you update it. I've had Java disabled on Firefox and IE for a year or more, maybe two. I've yet to find any use for it. My wife complained at first since there was a crossword puzzle website that used Java but she found an alternate path to the same stuff sans Java. Having Java enabled on an XP machine may explain at least part of why you seem to have so many more computer related problems than the rest of us. Java is a security nightmare... can it.

There is a distinction to be made here. I too have had Java turned off in my browser for ages. Another aspect of Java is the run time J(ava)R(un time)E(dition), which is used by some programs that run locally.

I keep JRE updated and the browser part disabled.

No Coffee Jitters Moose