Re: [OM] B&W challenge, #3

Subject: Re: [OM] B&W challenge, #3
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 01:17:12 +1300
Moose commented about my image:
> Thank you all for your comments on
> and
>
> Well, both Chris people encouraged me, but, out of sight
> of all, Chris Crawford took the much appreciated extra
> step of e-mailing me off-list with re-working of my
>
> I do not have PS as he has, but I'm now at the stage of
> my familiarity with FastStone that in some ways it is just
> like another hand, and about as fast. And I've paid for it!

This has been bugging me. The first one is indeed awfully flat. But the
rework has gone nuclear, blasting foliage and
shadow into the netherworld, wiping out textural detail in the columns and
the lighter parts of the front of the
building proper. I offer some alternatives.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/BSwale/Masonic_Lodge_Clyde.htm>

I couldn't get myself to go as far white as you did. Even my alternative 3
seems unrealistic looking to me, as it's
obviously not direct sun.

  A Whiter Shade of Moose
///////////////
I like the 2nd-from-last one.
Actually, I didn't spend a huge amount of time on this.
After Chris Crawford sent me his work, some of which I
could see, I sat and thought about how I wanted to
present the image.
I decided High-key.

I've never done this before with B&W from any source.

Re: the vegetation at the left, to my mind it was / is
extraneous to the main subject; I 'may' have nuked it
using the shadow slider but I suspect not.
I should have done so.
When composing the shot I know I decided I needed
'some' space there as it would have been wrong to have
the margin right up against the pillar. I just needed some
negative space for composition purposes, and the least
detail in there the better, from my point of view.

The light of the day had NO direct sun at all. Which suited
me fine. The Dunstan House photo was taken a few
moments later; almost same light but with the camera
pointed 180 degrees from the pillars shot. There's one
more to  come, the same.

With the high key I 'did' try to enhance the contrast to
bring out the surface texture. Didn't manage to find as
much as Moose did.

Brian

---
is active.