[OM] Last minute request

Subject: [OM] Last minute request
From: Jez Cunningham <jez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 21:56:51 +0100
I wonder what you would have done...

Our village runs a Victorian Street Fayre every 2 years and, despite being
only about 200 households, on one Sunday in June we attracted some 6000
visitors and raised approx £22000 for local and national charities.

Tonight was the presentation of the cheques to the 39 charities we
supported this year, and the 'official' photographer (not a pro afaik*)
called the chairman with minutes to go and said his camera had broken.  (*
A pro would have a spare camera n'est-ce pas?)

I was asked if I could rush home and get my camera. (I ran a Victorian
'Photobooth' for the event and made about £350 towards that £22000 and they
know me as a keen amateur.)  I declined, figuring we'd be better off with a
few people taking iPhone pictures than raising the expectation that, with
zero preparation, I could suddenly pull a photographic rabbit out of a hat.

With a couple of hours' hindsight I'm wondering if I should have stepped
in.
(I for one thought the official photos of the day were poor, so perhaps I
could have as well as the other guy.)

What would you have done?
cheers
Jez