Re: [OM] YAB on 9-10-14

Subject: Re: [OM] YAB on 9-10-14
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 17:32:05 -0700
On 10/13/2014 6:31 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:

Why do you need an Imatest? If you can't see it with your eye well...
you can't see it. Who wants to carry a shot filled bag for a lightweight camera? If >>you consider it critical (I don't) then test with and without a shot filled bag. If you can see a difference then get rid of the camera *and* the shot filled >>bag and get a different camera.

Weightless Moose responds

You tell 'em, Chuck!

Weightless Moose and Dr. Focus ganging up on speculative Mike, huh. I do see your point but subjective endpoints with images are much more problematic to use in order to characterize the nature and extent of an effect when only a subtle residual exists. Imatest is an objective reproducible technique.

Sure, but what can I read from it? Unless I spend a lot of time shooting the same lenses at the same shutter speeds and focal lengths as some of these tests, they tell me nothing about what another test on a different lens will mean in images. Without such a referent, it's just squiggles. OK, so one lens has different squiggles than another, and I can infer which is better, but I have no idea by how much, and whether I'll be able to see it in my images.

If I can't see the subtle residual, it doesn't exist. :-)

Sony denies(d) Shutter shock (SS) exists at all on the A7r though ample evidence existed in images that during some conditions it was obvious. The Imatest data is unequivocal and defines the shutter speeds when SS is an issue and the magnitude under tested conditions. Fortunately The OM-D has on the quietest which correlates with least SS of any MFT cam (no EFC used) and the 1/8 sec delay mitigates that. I would surmise that on a tripod with a long light lens, some SS will remain.

That's certainly possible, and I've speculated that it was happening to mine. However, pixel level perusal of the shots revealed that it was a difference in exact focal plane. The areas perfectly in focus are indistinguishable to my eye between the 1/8 sec. delay on the E-M5 and EFC on the GX7. This is a complex, highly detailed, 3D subject @ 300 mm on a tripod.

It does raise a question for me about subtle differences in the AF in the two bodies. Not that I would pick one focal plane over the other in this instance, but it's made me aware that MF with image magnification may be needed more often than I might have thought.

The A7r was worse on a tripod especially if the cam hung off the back using a lens with a tripod mount--normally expect that arrangement to be better, but not with SS. Kudos to Oly in providing the firmware updates to many of the MFT line but too bad it didn't seem to be possible for the OM-D. The E-P5 had horrendous SS not immediately recognized as such by DPRreview. It is not a cure all as it limits the shutter speeds usuable, no burst mode, and no flash AFAIK. There can be odd artefacts with moving subjects.

All factors not unique to the Oly EFC, but endemic to all current implementations, as far as I know. At least the Olys have the 1.8 sec or longer option. With automagic switching when shutter speeds go over 1/320, it seems like a pretty seamless implementation. With flash, as AG has pointed out, SS isn't a factor.

In Nex with large apertures and fast speeds, there are weird bokeh artefacts. I don't know if they would occur on Oly MFT at speeds where EFC allowed. Oddly looking at the Oly manuals the 0sec antishock setting is massively downplayed and difficult to find as not even indexed in the one cam manual looked at.

They have played down Anti-Shock right from the beginning, with little reference in the manuals and no explanation of what it's for. With the new, 0sec., I suspect they are concerned with less sophisticated users getting tangled up in the limitations. I know I've more than once taken a few moments to figure out why the flash on the Panny's isn't working. ;-)

If buying a cam with 36 megapickles, I don't want the image blurred over
several pixels and want full use of all pickles.

As indeed you should.

Mini Mega Pickles Moose