Re: [OM] Paul's PAW - more Canal photos and stuff

Subject: Re: [OM] Paul's PAW - more Canal photos and stuff
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 21:01:08 -0700
On 10/13/2014 4:24 PM, Paul Braun wrote:
On 10/13/14 17:41 : , Moose wrote:
On 10/13/2014 11:20 AM, Paul Braun wrote:
... I plan on getting the 75-300 before our cruise in January

That's a honey if you like long. I'm in looove. Get extension tubes if you like
close, too.

I definitely want something in that range, partly for lunar photography,

I guess some of us have to get the lunacy out of our system. I've done that, and am now content to only 'shoot the moon' as part of other scenics. I'll let you in on a couple of secrets.

1. The moon always looks the same. Get a good shot, and you are done. Even lunar eclipses are common - and all look the same.

2. Shooting through the earth's atmosphere, you can't get get as good a shot as you can download from the internet. Overall sharpness isn't great, and individual parts will be soft. I thought to merge shots, to use the sharper parts of each. Then I found that whole areas had apparently moved! The atmosphere doesn't just soften, it moves things around.

3. Getting as good a shot as you can isn't that difficult. I got as good as I'm going to get, short of an extra atmospheric voyage, with 1000/11 (300 is really a bit short), a serious tripod and head, on an APS-C sensor.

If you want a great moon shot, travel to the Altiplano with a really long lens, say 1000 mm on 4/3. It still won't be as good as I'd like.

partly for scenic. We're taking a Caribbean cruise in January that stops at St. John and St. Marten. We've already booked an anniversary/birthday cruise to Alaska for next September, and since you see a lot of scenery as you cruise by, and we have a balcony cabin, I'm packing the tripod and the long lens for some casual landscape photography from my balcony.

Now you're talking.

Lunar Madness Moose