Re: [OM] More on: Why the Security of USB Is Fundamentally Broken

Subject: Re: [OM] More on: Why the Security of USB Is Fundamentally Broken
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2014 16:35:01 -0400
In all probability your CD/DVD drive is very likely a USB device and contains a USB controller which (I believe) has a high probability of being infectable due to read-mostly memory. Even if the startup code of the BIOS is not susceptible to having its control taken away from it by an infected USB device, one of these days you will boot from the CD/DVD device to install or repair an OS installation. At that point control is being passed to the device exactly for the purpose of booting. How can you be sure that what you booted is what was intended... or that the boot process didn't already corrupt the boot record of the drive that it's installing to.

If there's any saving grace here it's that, once the malware has infected your hard drive the infected bits then reside in the domain of conventional malware detection code. But, if new age malware checkers can't read and verify the microcode of the USB controllers the infection may just start all over again.

Chuck Norcutt