Re: [OM] OM-D E-M10 and four thirds lenses?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D E-M10 and four thirds lenses?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2014 09:26:18 -0400
If you discovered that there were 1,000 rare butterflies congregating around your house you would no doubt figure out how to convert yourself into Hawking radiation and make your escape.

Chuck Norcutt

Say what??? NO, Zero, nadda, Black Holes!!!??? Where are the physicists
here?

My first reaction to some of the conclusions stated in the link was:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3b/Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

It is very interesting work nonetheless and I appreciate the link. It is
yet to be peer reviewed it seems but extends the works of others
investigating the firewall paradox.

I suspect the title and some of the interpretations are hyperbolic and
an example of "link-bait."  (worked for me)

Observationally there are infrared signatures of "lotsa" (numerical term
adopted from butterfly observations of Cabbage Whites) black holes and
incontrovertible evidence of supermassive black holes at the center of
our galaxy and other galaxies and even stellar mass black holes, whose
presence or at least method of formation is called into question by this
elegant work. The work assumes that the Hawking firewall explanantion is
correct and that is by no means confirmed. The major problem is that
relativity and quantum mechanics predict vastly different conditions at
the event horizon--yet to be reconciled.

"Calculations showed that having information flowing out of a black hole
was incompatible with having an otherwise smooth Einsteinian space-time
at its boundary, the event horizon. In its place would be a
discontinuity in the vacuum that would manifest itself as energetic
particles — a “firewall” — lurking just inside the black hole.

Being incinerated as you entered a black hole would certainly contradict
Einstein’s dictum of no drama"   see:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/13/science/space/a-black-hole-mystery-wrapped-in-a-firewall-paradox.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

To further elucidate this paradox I would refer you to Moose, as a
Berkeley physics major and who has photographic evidence of the happenings
at the event horizon. (As per usual anything of import has made it to
the OM list.)

http://lists.tako.de/Olympus-OM/2014-08/msg00002.html

I stand by  my original interpretation of Moose's visual conundrum and
dismiss his final revelation as a futile means to divert cotroversy.

Imprisoned in the Black Hole of work at the office, Mike