Re: [OM] They Don't Last Forever

Subject: Re: [OM] They Don't Last Forever
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2014 12:20:03 -0700
On 10/2/2014 11:15 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
You need to adjust your thinking. Control of the monitor will not be based on controls on the monitor. Monitor control will be based on the software that drives the display and its interface.

For example, I have a Dell 24" IPS display (wonderful!)

Yup

which is driven by the AMD Radeon graphics built into the AMD quad processor in my HP Pavilion desktop computer.

Mine is driven by the Intel graphics in the Intel quad core i7 processor.

When I right click on the desktop it brings up a related menu. The first item shown is the AMD Catalyst Control Center which controls all functions of the (possibly multiple) display(s). From there it takes a third click to select "Desktops and Displays" and a fourth click to select "Desktop Color". That brings up sliders to control gamma, brightness and contrast for all or selected color channels. There are many other types of controls possible which is why it takes a few clicks to get where you want to go.

Here, you may have overgeneralized. The Intel HD Graphics Control Panel has different choices than you describe. I imagine each graphics processor maker has their own, different control panel. All do much the same stuff, though.

I highly recommend the Dell IPS (InterPlane Switching) display. IPS is the technology that allows you to view your digital display from almost any angle (up, down or sideways) and not see color and brightness shifts which are rampant in cheaper displays.

Yup, I like my Dell 24" IPS.