Re: [OM] Vivian Maier's work continues to hit the headlines, unfortunate

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivian Maier's work continues to hit the headlines, unfortunately this time
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 01:53:27 +1200

For what it's worth (not much), I have to say that I really like the
story of John Maloof taking the gamble to save her work from destruction
/ obscurity, and for working to reveal it with such professionalism and
integrity.

I'm amazed at Vivian Maier's tenacity with her secret
hobby, glad she did it, and glad she took such care to store her work.

Working with a Rollei TLR as she did, enabled her to capture many
great candid shots, as did Ans Westra and Brian Brake (with Leica and
other small cameras) in my own country. And their work continues to be
celebrated, and the few original prints command top dollar in auctions.

She got more keepers than I ever will, and nobody will ever go looking
for pearls in my stuff, as Maloof did with hers. People are interested
in people photos; not in flowers and landscapes ... :-(

Brian Brake
used to do landscapes, until Ernst Haas remarked to him one day,
something like *are there no people in New Zealand?*. Which kind of
turned on a light in his head ...

Brian