Re: [OM] first Images with OM-Fuji Speedbooster - plus fuji 56/1.2

Subject: Re: [OM] first Images with OM-Fuji Speedbooster - plus fuji 56/1.2
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 09:48:32 -0400
Depth of field is a function of focal length, aperture and desired resolution typically called (confusingly) the circle of confusion (which is the inverse or resolution).

When dealing with a crop sensor camera, when you compute depth of field you use the actual focal length and aperture of the lens or, in this case, what's coming out of the converter. In this case 355mm and f/5.6.

But, also when dealing with a crop sensor camera, one cannot use the conventional circle of confusion numbers or tables based on same since most of these are based on 35mm. For example, a typical (and slightly loose value) for 35mm resolution is 30 lines/mm or a CoC of 1/30 = 0.033mm. Since prints from crop sensor cameras need to be enlarged more than 35mm the resolution requirement need to be increased by the crop factor. For example, the Fuji APS-C sensor with 1.5X crop factor needs a resolution value of about 45 lines/mm (CoC = 0.022) and 4/3 images need 60 lines/mm (CoC = 0.016).

But all of these Resolution/CoC values are based on making an 8x10 print or magnification of approx. 8X from 35mm. If you're making smaller prints or doing just web images you can use lower numbers... unless you're eagle-eyed Moose in which case you need to double everything. :-)

Chuck Norcutt