Re: [OM] Card Readers

Subject: Re: [OM] Card Readers
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 07:29:19 -0400
Why am I so lucky? I've been shooting digital for 12 years and have never had an electronic failure of a reader. Maybe because I use mostly internal readers? Most of that experience has been with CF cards which were read either on my Dell Win XP machine (CF/USB) or on a Dell laptop where I used a CF adapter to its ExpressCard port. Now that both computers have been upgraded neither has a port for a CF card. But I'm using mostly SD cards now and using the built-in SD/USB ports on my HP desktop and Lenovo laptop Win 7 machines. Several years ago I bought 3 multi-card/USB readers from ebay for $2 each which I used for reading CF cards when using someone else's computer. Two of these have failed mechanically in the CF slot due to bent pins due to poor design... the insertion slot isn't long enough to keep the card properly aligned. I'm now down to one CF reader so I should probably buy a better designed spare. But electronic or software failure? Never seen it.

Chuck Norcutt