Re: [OM] Lighting, flash illumination, and flower photos.

Subject: Re: [OM] Lighting, flash illumination, and flower photos.
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 06:35:15 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>Here, at
>
>http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=14149
>
>I have copied work done in the 1980's by an old friend John Johns ARPS,
>now deceased about 10 years, who was the official photographer for the
>New Zealand Forest Service - now defunct. The photos were taken for a
>book he co-authored with a botanist. John was a perfectionist, and his
>work shows that.
>
>I post these to show how HE achieved consistently
>excellent results in an era when tools such as photoshop were not
>available to 'fix' errors. You had to get it right in the camera.
>
>I have not been able to do justice to his lovely half-frame shots as
>printed in a book.

     His photo of the orchid is exquisite, showing the minute glands (ie-
hairs) on the leaves.  I see from the first of these how he manages to get
detail such as to appear, using reflected light from the flash to get full
illumnation.  I'm going to have to experiment with the technique of using a
grey card (or something similar) to eliminate annoying background clutter.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson