Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 6/8/2014: my children

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 6/8/2014: my children
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 10:18:53 -0400
Thanks for that. I never stopped to consider ice falling off the cable stays. Yikes!

Chuck Norcutt

On 8/11/2014 9:29 AM, Charles Geilfuss wrote:
Question: How do you drive across icy bridges in Charleston?
Answer: You don't. They close the bridges, so everyone stays home.

   The big problem last Winter was the Ravenel Bridge and two ice storms
within two weeks. The City had acquired brine trucks, so the roadbed was
cleared quickly, but the ice on the cable stays kept crashing down for
three days, so they couldn't reopen until it cleared. They discussed
installing a heater system prior to construction but decided it was too
expensive for the few times it would be used.

Charlie

On Sat, Aug 9, 2014 at 4:13 PM, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx