[OM] Nathan's PAD 10/8/2014: Oh, Canada!

Subject: [OM] Nathan's PAD 10/8/2014: Oh, Canada!
From: Nathan Wajsman <nwajsman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 11:40:24 -0400
We spent yesterday on the Canadian side of the border, first taking in the
awesomeness that is Niagara Falls (despite local attempts to turn it into a
horrible Disneyland):
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/4253606_kdsZ6C#!i=3451580623&k=cX7jChW&lb=1&s=O

Then we drove the 15 km to Niagara-on-the-Lake and visited several of the local
wineries. The wine was surprisingly good; I knew that the whites would be nice,
and indeed there were several good Rieslings, and of course ice wine (frost in
December/January is pretty dependable in Canada…). But the real surprise were
the reds, some of which had the flavour, fruitiness and structure to match what
we drink in Spain, but with a unique character. And finally, we came across the
town’s lone crafts beer maker, Oast House Brewers, where my wife took a picture
of me holding a bottle I had fallen in love with:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/4253606_kdsZ6C#!i=3451580961&k=BqdB7ff&lb=1&s=O

The only bad part about the trip was the one hour wait to cross back into the
US. For some weird reason, the level of interrogation (and hence the time it
takes to process each car) is much more extensive here than at the airport; and
we are talking here about a car with US license plates and with four US
citizens in it. I can only imagine what non-USians go through at that border.
In our case it was the Lewiston Bridge, but the Peace and Rainbow Bridges were
equally backed up.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman