Re: [OM] The virtues of RAW

Subject: Re: [OM] The virtues of RAW
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 21:08:31 +0800
Gaps in histogram will certainly exist if you apply curve or level to a 8
bit image. In most cases even a clear sky contain random dots of
slightly difference levels, it is not easy to get banding look. I had some
16bit scans of underexposed negative with lots of gaps (some rather wide
one) on the shadow areas, I tried very hard to look for posterization but
never able to find some.

To do multiple editing on a 8 bit image, I will change it to 16 bit first,
it make sure multi-steps will only have single effect on the level
distribution.

C.H.Ling

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck Norcutt" <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I have created it myself at least once (but years ago) by pushing a JPEG
too hard.  I have also seen gaps in the histogram that aren't necessarily
apparent in the image.  Probably a warning of impending posterization.

Chuck Norcutt