Re: [OM] (Waaay OT) Seeking wisdom

Subject: Re: [OM] (Waaay OT) Seeking wisdom
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2014 08:30:59 -0400
On Jun 22, 2014, at 1:55 AM, ChrisB <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It sounds like a scam, at worst, but a waste of time at best, Bob. Over Here,
> even in the FB age, there is less tendency to discuss where you're from etc .
> . .

Right. I sent my son a copy of the email I posted here. He’s a social media
director for an information management company, and part of his job is hanging
out on Facebook. (Damn! Where were those jobs when I was a puppy?). Here’s his
reply. I think it makes a lot of sense.

Duncan’s reply:

The skeptical part of me thinks that advertisers are getting more sophisticated
these days, and moving beyond the buxom pool babe to sell us things.

For example, I know of several scenarios where "click farms" located in Egypt,
Bangledesh, and Indonesia hire people who's job it is to "like" pages of
people/companies who pay for added followers. But because FB frowns upon this,
they're having to do more and more to fool FB's system into thinking they're
real people, and perhaps what you describe above fits into that.

It could also be a way of trying to ascertain demographic info, although, it
doesn't sound like she asked anything that wasn't more or less available on
your profile.

I think the fishiest thing is that she didn't answer when you asked how she
came across you. Real people on FB usually gush explanations to avoid coming
off too creepy.

I'd unfriend her. I try to stay open to strangers when they friend me, but if
they chat me the second I log in, or don't do something to establish how we
know each other (especially when dealing with FB), I unfriend.

FB has been cracking down on fake people in the past year, which is good in
theory except for the fact that these folks won’t give up that easy and are
coming up with craftier ways to get, if not our money/identity, or metadata.

Back to me: I have unfriended this person. The fact “she” ignored two different
requests to let me know how “she” found me sealed the deal.

—Bob Whitmire
Certified and Humble Neanderthal