Re: [OM] A65 request for image quality evaluation.

Subject: Re: [OM] A65 request for image quality evaluation.
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 07:59:36 -0400
The 18-55 kit lens is marked at 18, 24, 28, 35 and 55mm. Unfortunately, there's no 50mm marking and interpolating on a non-linear scale is difficult. I'd suggest you mark it yourself by comparison with the 50mm prime. Set the camera up with 50mm prime in the house on a tripod and then focus on something like a yardstick and note the length of the yardstick that's visible. Then install the kit lens and adjust the zoom until you see the same view. Put a little mark on the focal length scale. You should see the full width of the yard stick (horizontally) at about 6.5 feet.

Taking the A200 is a wise choice. It's a camera you're very familiar with and, most importantly, it provides a backup. You don't want to go to the trouble and expense of visiting Yosemite only to find that your camera has failed.

Chuck Norcutt